Health Informatics Online Classroom
Informatics Training Options for Non VA
The VA AMIA 10x10 program is currently only available to VA staff, and a limited number of students from federal partner agencies.
Points of contact are listed below for those agencies currently participating:
US Coast Guard:
Indian Health Service:
- Susy Postal, Chief Health Informatics Officer (IHS/HQ), Susy.Postal@ihs.gov
Other available 10x10 programs are listed on the AMIA website at https://www.amia.org/education/10x10-courses.
Other opportunities available to the Department of Defense (DOD) include:
The Introduction to Health Informatics (101) course, consisting of six independent modules, is available to anyone with a mil.gov e-mail address. One module is available each month on the following topics: Overview of Health Informatics; Electronic Health Records and Data Standards and Exchange; Workflow Analysis and Process Redesign; Usability and Human Factors; Systems Design and Designing for Safety; and Effective Training for HIT. More information is available at http://vatraining.remote-learner.net/mod/data/view.php?id=5094.
- Introduction to Health Care Data Analytics is a web based 31-hour, introductory level course provides foundational skills and knowledge in health care data analytics that will equip you to contribute more effectively to local data analytics and performance improvement efforts. The convenient online format allows you to complete weekly assignments on your own schedule. Sign up at https://vatraining.remote-learner.net/mod/page/view.php?id=18438
- A Nursing Informatics Guided study group which is available to DOD at http://vatraining.remote-learner.net/course/view.php?id=114
- The VA Pharmacy Online Classroom may also have courses that you would be interested in which are available to DOD as well. The site at is available at https://vapharmacytraining.remote-learner.net/login/index.php
The Health Informatics Lecture Series, which forms the basis of the curriculum for the VA AMIA 10x10 program, has been shared with our federal partners and should be available on the learning management system via SWANK. We can also provide instructions for getting an account set up in VA's Talent Management System (TMS) where our staff access these lectures if that is preferable.
Free resources for informatics training available to the public include:
- Stanford/Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative: http://oli.stanford.edu/health-technology
- Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) Health IT Education Opportunities are listed at https://www.healthit.gov/playbook/
Direct further questions to VHAhi2CertHelp@va.gov